Sept. 13, 2022
Virtual Reality Artists in Residence Program Accepting Applications
For 2022/23 Lab NEXT at the Taylor Family Digital Library (Libraries and Cultural Resources) is accepting applications for four (4) artists in residence in virtual reality.
Each residency offers the following opportunities:
- Training sessions and support from our Virtual Reality experts
- Access to two virtual reality systems in Lab NEXT: HTC Vive, and Oculus Rift
- Access to virtual reality spaces in TFDL, including the VR Development Room
- Access to apps such as Medium and Tiltbrush, and opportunity to explore other VR apps
- Build skills in virtual reality mediums in a self-paced, supportive environment
- Opportunities to showcase your work in the TFDL
- Portfolio experience
- Artist in Residence Certificate and digital badge (for LinkedIn or other platforms)
The requirements for maintaining the residency include:
- Current student at University of Calgary
- No outstanding fines with Libraries and Cultural Resources
- Attending a mandatory virtual reality safety & training session (1.5 hrs)
- Respecting and abiding by Virtual Reality usage policies
- Working collaboratively and collegially with Lab NEXT and library staff
Send submissions of interest by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the title "Application of Interest - VR Artist in Residence". Include: your name, program and year of study, why you are interested in this opportunity and any ideas of what you would like to explore or create, approximately how often you expect to use the virtual reality spaces, any previous experience with virtual reality (not a requirement).
Applications should be around 250-500 words.
Residences are unpaid, flexible experiential learning opportunities.
The deadline for submission is 5:00 PM, Friday October 7, 2022.