Virtual Career Club
This online interactive workshop runs from Oct. 19 – Nov. 9 and will help you stay job-market ready.
Virtual Career Club
Dates: Every Monday from Oct. 19 – Nov. 9, 2020
Time: 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m. MT
The way we look for work may have shifted, but it is still a great time to focus on your career and stay job-market ready.
The Virtual Career Club is a four-part, interactive workshop delivered by UCalgary Alumni Career Coach Brian Palmer, BComm’06, that will provide fundamental guidance on: career mapping; resumes and application strategies; interview techniques; and networking to equip you with the skills you need accelerate your career and build an intentional future.
Each 90-minute workshop will be a mix of presentation, interactive activities and Q&A, and will be available as a recording for all participants.
Monday, Oct. 19, 2020, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Take stock of your situation in our current economy and where you are in your career and job search
- Assess your interests, values, strengths, traits, skills and ambitions and what you want from your career
- Explore different work options, understand labour market trends and learn how to conduct occupational and industry research
- Take steps to create and carry out an action plan to conduct your job search online
Monday, Oct. 26, 2020, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Gain a competitive advantage with your resume and cover letter and get noticed by employers
- Target your resume and cover letter to an employer’s needs and format to create a professional appearance
- Highlight your accomplishments and key competencies to showcase your experience in an effective way
- Understand the application process and apply effective strategies to stand out from your competition
Monday, Nov. 2, 2020, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Learn how to decode job interviews and prepare effectively for them
- Increase your confidence and get into the ideal interview mindset
- Set yourself apart from other candidates and convey your unique value proposition
- Prepare for different types of interviews including in-person, phone and virtual interviews
Monday, Nov. 9, 2020, 11:30 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Learn why networking is one of the most important skills that career-changers and job-seekers need to be successful
- Develop your network and leverage LinkedIn to identify meaningful opportunities, gain valuable industry insights and create successful connections
- Learn the do’s and don’ts of networking and overcome fear of networking with practical strategies and tips
- Discover how UCalgary Mentor Link can enhance your network and help develop your career
Registration for the fall 2020 Virtual Career Club is now closed. But UCalgary Alumni is still here to help you grow your career.
Checkout our upcoming career programming:
Meet the Facilitator
Brian Palmer, BComm'06, is a leadership and career coach with more than 14 years of experience in the consulting and energy industries. He is also one of UCalgary Alumni’s resident career coaches. Throughout his career, Brian has recruited and coached professionals in a variety of industries, including engineering, business, geosciences, IT and HR. In addition to coaching, Brian has also held roles as a compensation analyst, recruiter, and talent management advisor. He has helped more than 600 individuals breakthrough and advance their careers. Brian holds a Bachelor of Commerce in Finance from the University of Calgary, a Professional Coaching Certification through the International Coaching Federation and is a Leadership Circle Practitioner.