June 6, 2012
Perpetual Energy’s Susan L. Riddell Rose named 2012 Distinguished Business Leader
Susan L. Riddell Rose, president and CEO of Perpetual Energy Inc., has been named the recipient of the 2012 Distinguished Business Leader Award (DBLA) by the Haskayne School of Business at the University of Calgary and the Calgary Chamber.
Since 1993, the DBLA has recognized outstanding leaders in the Calgary business community, honouring those whose exceptional demonstration of vision and leadership, sound business sense, and commitment to the community has marked them as role models for future generations of business leaders.
Riddell Rose has gained over 25 years of experience in the oil and natural gas industry since her start as a geological engineer at Shell Canada Ltd. following her graduation from Queen’s University with a Bachelor of Science in Geological Engineering. In 2002 she was appointed president of Paramount Energy Trust, a spinout of assets from Paramount Resources Ltd. She has continued in her role also taking on the title of chief executive officer leading the former trust through the conversion to corporation now known as Perpetual Energy Inc. Throughout her years as president and CEO she has been an instrumental advocate for various causes of industry and has shown leadership and dedication to her field through her involvement in various organizations including the Association of Professional Engineers, Geologists and Geophysicists of Alberta, the Canadian Society of Petroleum Geologists, the American Association of Petroleum Geologists and in her role as Governor of the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers.
Beyond her professional affiliations, Riddell Rose is actively involved in the community in many capacities. She was Co-Chair for the 2011 United Way of Calgary Campaign, and is active on the Premier's Council for Alberta's Promise, the Patrons Council for UNICEF Canada, Queen's University Centre Cabinet Committee, the Hotchkiss Brain Institute Community and Partners Advisory Committee, and initiatives with Ronald McDonald House Southern Alberta.
In 2011, she was named one of Canada’s Most Powerful Women.
The DBLA award will be presented to Riddell Rose at the 20th annual gala event, taking place Monday, June 18, 2012 at the Jack Singer Concert Hall in EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts. Gala proceeds will create a scholarship in her name benefitting a Haskayne School of Business student who demonstrates similar talent and vision. As have recipients before her, Riddell Rose will engage with Haskayne faculty and students to help bridge the gap between management education and management practice.
The Haskayne School of Business and the Calgary Chamber are pleased to partner with EPCOR CENTRE for the Performing Arts and Business in Calgary magazine to produce this year’s event and showcase Riddell Rose’s accomplishments, and were further supported by generous sponsors KPMG, RBC Capital Markets and the Chartered Accountants of Alberta.
Perpetual Energy media inquiries: call 403.269.6338
Past Recipients of the Distinguished Business Leader Award
- Rick George (2011), President & CEO, Suncor Energy Inc.
- Hal Kvisle (2010), President & CEO, TransCanada Corporation
- Patrick Daniel (2009), President & CEO, Enbridge Inc.
- George Brookman (2008), CEO & Owner, West Canadian
- Mike Tims (2007), Chairman, Peters & Co.
- Harley Hotchkiss (2006), Chairman, NHL Board of Governors
- Linda Hohol (2005), President, TSX Venture Exchange
- Charlie Fischer (2004), President & CEO, Nexen Inc.
- Clive Beddoe (2003), Chairman, President & CEO, WestJet Airlines Ltd.
- John Forzani (2002), Founder, Chairman & CEO, The Forzani Group Ltd.
- David O’Brien (2001), Chairman, President & CEO, Canadian Pacific Ltd.
- Brian MacNeill (2000), Chairman, Petro-Canada
- James Gray (1999), Chairman, Canadian Hunter Exploration Ltd.
- J.R. (Bud) McCaig (1998), Chairman, Trimac Corporation
- Richard Haskayne OC, AOE, FCA (1997), Chairman of the Board, NOVA Corporation
- Robert Brawn (1996), President & CEO, Danoil Energy Ltd.
- Alfred Balm (1995), Chairman of the Board, Emergo Canada Ltd.
- David Mitchell, OC (1994), President & CEO, Alberta Energy Company Ltd.
- John Currie (1993), President, Alberta Arts Stabilization Fund